[discuss] Roadmap for globalizing IANA

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 15:22:38 UTC 2014

Hello Steve i just like to get one thing correctly - kindly see below:

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Steve Crocker <steve at shinkuro.com> wrote:

> To be a bit more precise, neither of these authorities is able to register
> a TLD.

Does either of them have the authority to reject a TLD registration? Or to
better put it, do they have any authority to reject and gTLD or ccTLD
information from being entered into the root zone?

> NTIA has a contract with ICANN to perform the IANA function.  The IANA
> function does not include the creation or oversight of the gTLDs.  That
> function belongs to a different part of ICANN and is governed by the
> multi-stakeholder policy processes of ICANN.  The part of ICANN that
> creates a new gTLD sends that information over to the IANA group to put the
> information into the root zone.
>
> The statement above is almost confusing ;), you said IANA function does
not include creation of gTLD but then the request to add the gTLDs to the
root zone still get sent through the same IANA? Pardon my layman
understanding of this whole DNS series; I am looking at the NTIA site[1]
describing the IANA function and am wondering, if gTLD is not part of
the "certain
responsibilities associated with Internet DNS root zone management"
refereed to by NTIA as one of IANA function. Then what is?

Regards!
1. http://www.ntia.doc.gov/page/iana-functions-purchase-order--

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*