[discuss] Will there be life on 1net after IANA is globalized? (:-)

S Moonesamy sm+1net at elandsys.com
Wed Mar 12 15:43:08 UTC 2014

Hi Naresh,
At 18:56 11-03-2014, Naresh Ajwani wrote:
>Would you please let us know that how this process addresses
>minority representation?
>
>U wud appreciate that democracy is not only about majority or so
>explained consensus but ensuring the rights of minorities too.

There is a report at
http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-final-minority-positions-10nov13-en.pdf
It contains the following definition for "consensus": "a position
where only a small minority disagrees, but most agree" and a comment
expressing disagreement about that definition.

Each organization has its own decision-making process.  Some of these
processes use the word "consensus".  There can be different
interpretations of that word.  I would not use the word "democracy"
as the decision in such a system is taken through
voting.  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moonesamy-consensus-00
provides some examples of using consensus to determine the outcome.

The quoted text seems to be about how to prevent the oppression of a
smaller group by a larger group.  It can be argued that it happens
when everyone is given the same rights.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy