[discuss] [governance] U.S. to Give Up Oversight of Web Policymaking Body

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 12:58:23 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 8:49 AM, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2014, at 8:12 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>
> > This is interesting. So you say now ICANN may go anywhere it wishes to,
> it is up to the ICANN to do so.
>
> Let all of us hope it is _not_ up to ICANN to make such a decision; it
> should be a matter for the global
> Internet community to consider and then make the final recommendations.
>  As I understand it, ICANN's
> role is in convening stakeholders across the global Internet community to
> develop a plan, not to decide
> the matter itself.

Agreed, and the first exercise of that begins in ~5 minutes:

You are invited to join Board Chair Steve Crocker and Fadi Chehadé on a
brief community call to discuss Friday's announcement that stewardship of
the Internet technical functions will transfer from the U.S. government to
the Internet¹s global multistakeholder community. ICANN¹s role in managing
these functions and the Domain Name System will not change.

This call is just the beginning of a community-wide dialogue about the
development of the transitional process. In the coming months, we will rely
heavily on you, our community members, to determine the best way to achieve
this long-awaited goal.

I look forward to speaking with you soon, and in the future, on this
important and exciting development. And please note, we had planned to talk
to you about this on Sunday, but unfortunately the NTIA had to move their
announcement up to today as it was leaked to the media.

*Saturday, 15 March*

*Time is 14:00-15:00 UTC*

GMT/UTC - 14:00, Saturday

Istanbul - 16:00, Saturday

Washington, D.C. - 10:00, Saturday

Los Angeles - 07:00, Saturday

Brussels - 15:00, Saturday

Singapore - 22:00, Saturday

Tokyo - 23:00, Saturday

London - 14:00, Saturday

Toronto - 10:00, Saturday

Stockholm - 15:00, Saturday

*Conference information:*

*Conference Passcode: *

Participant passcode: 6123291 (for participants)

US Toll Free Access Number:        866-297-1588

US Access Number:                         1-210-795-1143

International numbers - see below

*Dial in numbers:*

*Country*

*Toll Numbers*

*Freephone/Toll Free Number*

ARGENTINA

0800-777-0498

AUSTRALIA

ADELAIDE:

61-8-8121-4863

1-800-758-196

AUSTRALIA

BRISBANE:

61-7-3102-0965

1-800-758-196

AUSTRALIA

CANBERRA:

61-2-6100-1965

1-800-758-196

AUSTRALIA

MELBOURNE:

61-3-9010-7734

1-800-758-196

AUSTRALIA

PERTH:

61-8-9467-5244

1-800-758-196

AUSTRALIA

SYDNEY:

61-2-8211-1396

1-800-758-196

AUSTRIA

43-1-92-80-003

0800-677-861

BELGIUM

32-1-150-0312

0800-4-9471

BRAZIL

0800-8912026

CHILE

1230-020-2453

CHINA

CHINA A:

86-400-810-4761

10800-712-1202

CHINA

CHINA B:

86-400-810-4761

10800-120-1202

COLOMBIA

01800-9-156439

CZECH REPUBLIC

420-2-25-98-56-16

800-700-168

DENMARK

45-7014-0239

8088-2100

ESTONIA

800-011-1121

FINLAND

358-9-5424-7159

0-800-1-12771

FRANCE

LYON:

33-4-26-69-12-76

080-563-9909

FRANCE

MARSEILLE:

33-4-86-06-00-76

080-563-9909

FRANCE

PARIS:

33-1-70-75-25-35

080-563-9909

GERMANY

49-69-2222-3198

0800-101-6627

GREECE

30-80-1-100-0674

00800-12-6609

HONG KONG

852-3001-3842

800-968-764

HUNGARY

06-800-17241

INDIA

INDIA A:

000-800-852-1218

INDIA

INDIA B:

000-800-001-6283

INDIA

INDIA C:

1800-300-00461

INDONESIA

001-803-011-3502

IRELAND

353-1-247-5274

1800-992-870

ISRAEL

1-80-9303035

ITALY

MILAN:

39-02-3601-0953

800-985-849

JAPAN

OSAKA:

81-6-7739-4764

0034-800-40-0719

JAPAN

TOKYO:

81-3-5539-5164

0034-800-40-0719

LATVIA

8000-3098

LUXEMBOURG

352-27-000-1351

MALAYSIA

1-800-80-8124

MEXICO

001-866-627-0579

NETHERLANDS

31-20-718-8530

0800-023-4392

NEW ZEALAND

64-9-970-4646

0800-447-834

NORWAY

47-21-59-00-49

800-15497

PANAMA

011-001-800-5072083

PERU

0800-53753

PHILIPPINES

63-2-858-3710

POLAND

00-800-1211184

PORTUGAL

8008-12439

RUSSIA

8-10-8002-9873011

SAUDI ARABIA

800-8-110076

SINGAPORE

65-6883-9208

800-120-4284

SLOVAK REPUBLIC

421-2-322-422-16

SOUTH AFRICA

080-09-93384

SOUTH KOREA

82-2-6744-1062

00798-14800-6326

SPAIN

34-91-414-40-78

800-098-194

SWEDEN

46-8-505-96-328

0200-897-068

SWITZERLAND

41-44-580-4210

0800-000-782

TAIWAN

886-2-2795-7358

00801-137-694

THAILAND

001-800-1206-65092

UNITED KINGDOM

BIRMINGHAM:

44-121-210-9016

0800-279-3590

UNITED KINGDOM

GLASGOW:

44-141-202-3216

0800-279-3590

UNITED KINGDOM

LEEDS:

44-113-301-2116

0800-279-3590

UNITED KINGDOM

LONDON:

44-20-7950-6551

0800-279-3590

UNITED KINGDOM

MANCHESTER:

44-161-601-1416

0800-279-3590

URUGUAY

000-413-598-3431

USA

1-210-795-1143

866-297-1588

VENEZUELA

0800-1-00-2797

> > Hopefully, ICANN should apply to move to whichever country that gives it
> jurisdictional/ legal immunity through some national level instrument
> (Switzerland ?), although finally some kind of international legal
> framework for sorting disputes etc will still be needed.
> >
> > So,  ICANN should tell the US that either it brings up a special
> legislation protecting it from US jurisdiction etc (not sure if this is
> constitutionally possible) or it moves to another place from where such an
> offer comes..
>
> I imagine that either of the above are a possible output of the community
> consultation process.
>
> NTIA issued an IANA Transition Q & A document that includes one
> requirement that may have
> relevance <
> http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/qa_-_iana-for_web_eop.pdf>
>  -
> "NTIA will not accept a proposal that replaces the NTIA role with a
> government or an inter-
> governmental organization solution."
>
> Your suggested approaches should be considered as possible options so long
> as they don't
> conflict with that NTIA requirement.
>
> FYI,
> /John