[discuss] [governance] Re: U.S. to Give Up Oversight of Web Policymaking Body

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Sat Mar 15 13:05:02 UTC 2014

At 12:08 15/03/2014, McTim wrote:
>For a very long time indeed, many have asked for the US to
>relinquish their role.  Now they have signaled their
>willingness/readiness to do so.
>In practical terms, I see ICANN "floating free" from its USG
>ties.  That is what i got out of the Press Conference last night
>anyway (although I dialed in late) so may be mistaken.

I am puzzled by nothing anymore when I see that the IG leaders can
discuss seriously a thread where ICANN is labeled as the "Web
Policymaking Body". Blah, Blah, Blah.... the same smoke screen over,
and over, and over again.

The important issue IMHO is the March 14, 2014, alliance of the 14
I*leaders (some say "USurpers" of the Multitude's power). The move is
well planned: OpenStand: 29 August 2012, raises the issue of the
protection of the Internet Globalization "Huge Bounty" after several
ISOC gathering of key I*leaders. RFC 6852 permits to officialize it.
Snowden catalyzes the process. Brazil is upset: it was the main
target, but China or Russia or France/Germany were next in line.
GS1's Fadi Chehade was ready to propose a settlement meeting. The
NTIA has just prevented any risk that Sao Paulo might proposes any
other kind of World Digisphere Organization than ICANN, in anoucing
just before the meeting that it intends to transfer all its rights to
ICANN, while in between ICANN will have adopted the idea during its
Singapore meeting.

Brillant!

There is definitly no one in the /1NET cockpit: they are at the NTIA.
Congratulation, Folks, for a military rather than a diplomatic work
well timed and done!
Montevideo/Fadi Chehade plan B was well executed when Brazil did not
welcome Snowden.

Bottom question: do you really think it is in the best US interest?