[discuss] [governance] U.S. to Give Up Oversight of Web Policymaking Body

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Sat Mar 15 22:49:07 UTC 2014

John,
I am afraid I am going to keep your comment.and to quote it around!
Frankly, I hope for you fellow  ctizens you never engage into politics.

At 19:55 15/03/2014, John Curran wrote:
>On Mar 15, 2014, at 12:59 PM, Michel Gauthier <mg at telepresse.com> wrote:
>"that change is an increase in the status-quo"....  a truly remarkable phrase.

What is called "statUS-quo" consists in commercially curbing
innovation to the advantage of the US TNCs (what most sell should be
basic network services). The pursued scheme tries intelligently to
retain and stabilize this kind of economy. This is quite a bet because
the market does not wait.

> > ICANN will be under the control of its US StatusHolders. This
> will simplify the task of the NTIA and increase its indirect
> influence on the whole process. They would not have done it otherwise.
>
>I see - you assert that their influence is increasing at each phase:
>first with
>formation of ICANN, then termination of the JPA, and now via the phase-out of
>of the IANA contract...

It does not seem there is an increased influence, but a better
efficiency. The word chosen by the NTIA ("maturity") seems correct.

>  all of these are steps in NTIA's sinister master plan?

Why do you want it to be sinister? They just defend your interests
and your way of life. And try to do it intelligently.

> > Actually the NTIA will become the referee of the
> Multi-ICANN-StatusHolders common orientations, a more powerful
> master of the game, actually the "deus ex machina" since it will
> not have direct visible ties anymore.
>
>Indeed!  I hear that eventually NTIA won't even have to attend all
>of the Internet
>community meetings,

Don't you think that after 15 years ICANN is not grown enough for that?
The NTIA's job is to keep the other governments out of the loop. Time
as come for the USG to remove itself, in order to keep the other Govs off.

>but instead will just control the outcomes from their stronghold
>using nothing but their mighty telepathic powers!  ;-)

??  Guidance is before, not after ...

>Please let me know when the comic book goes on sale - thanks!
>:-)
>/John

Coming years will tell if the NTIA's bet (cf. Uruguay round, etc.
until Dubai) will continue to pay back.

>p.s.  For those who actually believe that NTIA is trying to respond
>to the desires of
>       the global Internet community via this latest announcement,
> it would be worth
>       considering what structures and mechanisms for accountability
> of the IANA system
>       would be most appropriate in a world absent NTIA's direct oversight.

John, you should realize that the NTIA's priority is not to help the
US competitors, but to best coordinate a cooperating world economy in
*your* best US citizen interest. This would help you better assessing
the situation. Also, to assess other governments' strategies as they
have equivalent motivations.

>Disclaimer: My views alone. Comic book plot is entirely a work of
>fiction - names,

(inluding the author's name :-) )

>             institutions, organizations, events or locales are
> entirely coincidental.

Take care.

M G