[discuss] [governance] NTIA statement

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 18:58:55 UTC 2014

Wolfgang,

"on top" triggers - once again - concerns about the delusion of One World
Government and of The Bigger Brother To End All Big Brothers. I hope
NetMundial does not become *that* design workshop.

A much more effective approach for the NTIA-substitution problem may be to
engage in its design, as suggested by Steve Crocker in this same thread,
and identify gaps, missing links or missing components which may have to be
built elsewhere and by others. Then state those as clear requirements and
have plans for the case they do not materialize or go wrong.

As for Steve Crocker's key call for issues and principles: it may be useful
at this point to look at the set of principles analyzed and proposed by the
Strategy Panel on ICANN's Role in the Internet Governance Ecosystem
https://www.icann.org/en/about/planning/strategic-engagement/governance-ecosystem/report-23feb14-en.pdf

>From these, even for the design of an NTIA-function substitute which is a
pretty constrained problem, the principles of technical rationality, loose
coupling and reciprocity may be particularly relevant. The first also
mandates stabilitiy, security and resilience as very strong design
constraints.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:

> 1+ Adiel.
>
> A good performance of the IANA functions is a pre-condition that the
> Internet works and can be used by all kind of governmental and
> non_governmental players for good and bad things. The publication of a TLD
> zone file in the root doesn´t say anything what the Registrant of a domain
> name is doing with the domain. And it has nothing to do with third party´s
> attack on this domains by blocking, filtering, hacking, manipulating,
> spying etc.  The problem is that so far there not enough multi-stakeholder
> places where users and providers of services can go to look for (policy and
> technical) arrangements to counter bad things. This is one challenge for
> Net Mundial. It should discuss what on top of a multi-stakehoder managed
> technical layer (which includes the termination of the transition of the
> IANA function to the network of the multistakleholder I* organizations)
> should be done to have multi-stakehooder mechanisms on the
> content/political layer. We know that the two lyers are interconnected, but
> they are two different shoes. New multistakeholder policy mechanisms will
> not emerge over night. But Sao Paulo can start the process and deliver a
> Multistakeholder Internet Governance Roadmap 2020 (MINGORO 2020).
>
> wolfgang
>
> ________________________________

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty