[discuss] [governance] U.S. to Give Up Oversight of Web Policymaking Body

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Sun Mar 16 22:17:00 UTC 2014

Steve,
I would like to understand why you never consider that such things
could simply be subject to competition? And if this way you do not
encourage the emergence of the VGN multiplication?

At 21:28 16/03/2014, Steve Crocker wrote:
>On the other hand, here are some other things that have been treated
>as policy issues in the past that are intimately related to the
>operation of the IANA function.
>    * DNSSEC.  Should the root be signed?  If so, how?  What should
> the rules be for assuring trust in the process?  How often should
> the root key be changed?  Etc.
>    * IPv6 addresses for root servers.  Should IPv6 addresses be
> included as glue records for the root servers?
>    * IDN TLDs.  Are IDNs ok as top level domains?
>  We need a system that is transparent and accountable.  We also
> need a system that is efficient and effective.

Is there a list of the IANA entries that have been decided by
ICANN/IANA and not by IETF or IETF experts? All these debates are a
question of trust. If you want people to trust you, be transparent.
What is not from the IETF and from the multitude in the IANA data?

>Can you identify specific instances where the current configuration
>has failed to operate properly and where the failure is due to lack
>of strict functional separation?

Why gTLDs propositions had to respect the foreign US policy?

>(Also, I think there's been pretty strong separation in place for a
>long time, so I'm not sure how much more separation you have in mind.
>
>>This may also be a big part of the expectations of global stakeholders.
>>
>>There is also the issue of ICANN being subject to US law.  This
>>remains a problem if ICANN plans to keep the administrative
>>function after transition.
>
>The question has already been asked and I'll ask again.  What is the
>specific problem about being subject to US law?  As a general
>matter, rule of law is usually considered one of the U.S.'s very
>strongest qualities.

Sorry. This not the way the world is now used to consider the USG.
However the real question regarding the US law, is not the US. The
question is why are the US demanding that Govs do not represent their
citizens on an equal footing with them. National laws should apply to
national ICANN the same as the US one. They might be independent
ICANN or an ICANN franchise or chapters? Why  have ICANN never
investigated it?

M G