[discuss] [governance] U.S. to Give Up Oversight of Web Policymaking Body

Dominique Lacroix dl at panamo.eu
Mon Mar 17 02:32:24 UTC 2014

Le 17/03/14 01:39, Suresh Ramasubramanian a écrit :

Yes, Suresh, but French law stopped death penalty, now. For a long.

BTW, I live just near the place where the first tries of guillotine were
made, with animals, during the French Revolution.
At that time, it was a big progress in the way of killing without
barbary and with respect of equality

    > /Just saying. And as for surveillance .. rather tough to teach the
    DGSE (or rather its predecessor SDECE) anything much, as a quick
    google of the term 'barbouze' might show./

You're perfectly right. But French laws about spying and interceptions
are in discussions in France just now.

All countries have to clean one's home about all human rights.
Perhaps we could compete aiming to improve all laws, instead of
justifying bad laws with others.

BUT about the US problem, the question is:

1. *dangerous* coexistence of bad laws + Internet control + global IT
companies,
2. need of a more *balanced* power in Internet management and in
Internet economic system,
3. need of *diversity*: complexity sciences demonstrate that lack of
diversity lead to collapse,
4. we are at a crossroad about *choice of civilization*. We must keep
open mixing several models of societies, selecting best parts of several
ones.

@+, best regards, Dominique

> Do you have any reason OTHER than the nsa's activities to make that claim?  Or claim that any other nation would be better at this? And do remember that line in the bible about motes versus beams in the eye, casting the first stone etc.
>
> --srs (iPad)
>
>> On 17-Mar-2014, at 3:08, Dominique Lacroix <dl at panamo.eu> wrote:
>>
>> Le 16/03/14 21:28, Steve Crocker a écrit :
>>> [...] The question has already been asked and I’ll ask again.  What is the specific problem about being subject to US law?  As a general matter, rule of law is usually considered one of the U.S.’s very strongest qualities.[...]
>> Dear Steve,
>> Thanks for your very interesting and clarifying technical comments.
>>
>> But about this precise point of trust, a large part of the world could
>> consider that US law is good *for US*.
>> Because of a bunch of recent laws that extend extraterritoriality and
>> allow surveillance.
>> And because precisely, the high technical qualities require US lawyers...
>> And because the USA are far and strange for a lot of people.
>> And because other countries have also good laws.
>>
>> All these points feed mistrust.
>> Exactly as a mirror: some US laws are fed of mistrust. And some
>> practices shew abuses.
>> Some of American great analysts themselves say it: the US have been
>> making mistakes at least since 10 years.
>>
>> So, IMHO, the first question could be: how could we build again some trust?
>> I think that, perhaps, chosing one common goal could help. But in order
>> to operate, it must be a bit out of the Internet management game.
>> And it must include civil society. Not only negociators for trade treaties.
>> That was the sense of my group's contribution to NetMundial.
>>
>> Sorry if I disturbed. I saw some light and I entered the house
>>
>> @+, best regards, Dominique

>>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

message-footer.txt

     governance at lists.igcaucus.org