[discuss] ITU Statement w.r.t IANA Transition

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Mar 17 16:54:49 UTC 2014

FYI,
/John

=== <http://www.itu.int/en/osg/Pages/statement-march2014.aspx>

Statement from ITU Secretary-General, Dr Hamadoun I. Touré
Geneva, 17 March 2014.

I welcome the announcement from the National Telecommunication and Information Administration of the United States Department of Commerce, of 14 March, 2014, regarding its intent to transition IANA functions to the global community, including full support for a multistakeholder model of Internet governance free from regulation by any one government or inter-governmental organization.

I would like to reiterate what I have said many times: the Internet is a global public good and therefore all nations and peoples should have an equal say in its running and development. I commend the US government's announcement about changing oversight arrangements of the management of critical internet resources and I believe this development will lead to improved and productive cooperation between the telecommunications and internet communities.

I look forward to further development of the appropriate mechanisms which will ensure fair, equitable and inclusive management of critical internet resources for the benefit of all and count on discussing these proposals with all relevant stakeholders at the NETMundial meeting in Brazil this coming April as well as other appropriate fora.

I urge all stakeholders involved to develop the transition plan in the spirit of principles agreed by the World Summit on the Information Society in 2003 and 2005. This means, inclusive of all nations and stakeholders, from developing and developed countries alike, and conducted in a transparent, open, constructive manner with a view to ensuring a more equitable and accessible Internet for all.