[discuss] A thought experiment - what follows the 'IANA transition?'

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 17:12:01 UTC 2014

All,

I would like to focus on a broader issue raised by the interesting discussion below.   It has been touched on before, but I think it’s useful to go somewhat further.

I see the issue as what is the appropriate domain of 'Internet governance' concerns.  And that leads immediately to what we think the domain of concern of “Internet governance’ is, i.e. how we define it.

I’d like to propose a thought experiment.  Suppose that by 30 September 2015, somehow “we” have created an appropriate accountability mechanism to replace NTIA’s current responsibilities.   Further, suppose that (1) NTIA accepted it and proceeded to make the transfer to the new mechanism, and (2) there was very broad general agreement across multiple stakeholder groups globally that this was a transition that was worth supporting.

What, then, would we discuss next?

On the one hand, some of us argue that Internet governance is really the appropriate construction of Internet administration and coordination mechanisms, with their appropriate oversight, and that issues of content and behavior need to be discussed in more general contexts. Nick Ashton-Hart argues this persuasively.  As an example, I would find it unproductive to discuss surveillance in the Internet unless it were within a more general context of surveillance policy.  In that context, I see the Internet as another tool, such as using hidden cameras and microphones, tapping voice phone lines and intercepting postal mail.

On the other hand, it’s clear that the introduction of the Internet has introduced both qualitative and quantitative changes in many areas of life and of human behavior, and that mechanisms dealing with them have not caught up to dealing with the Internet’s disruptive influence.  Such problems often have (at least) two aspects, one technical and the other societal.  I would not characterize these as Internet governance problems, but rather problems with respect to general governance caused or exacerbated by the Introduction of the Internet.

So back to the thought experiment.  If we really do solve the accountability and administrative issues related to ICANN and IANA in a manner that is widely accepted (admittedly a stretch, but it works for a thought experiment), then that is off the agenda.  What’s next on the “Internet governance” agenda, and why?  Do the venues for those discussions change, or not?  Does the label by which we refer o those discussions change, or not?   What is your “to do” list for Internet governance after an IANA final solution:

1. ….
2. ….
3. ….
4. ….
….

Opinions welcome.

Finally, if you believe that there is nothing left after an IANA final solution, then it might be useful to suggest some of the specify issues that you exclude, and suggest suggest specific venues and processes that that represent the correct way forward to address those problems.

This is really the issue of what Internet governance is, and is not.  The WGIG definition had enough creative generality to navigate a process through the political environment of WSIS, but now we are addressing more specific issues.  We lack descriptive terms that have enough specificity for us to be able to even discuss them without stumbling over definitional differences.   That kind of stumbling is not a good use of resources.  If we do not share what a word or a phrase means, I don’t see how we can discuss it sensibly.  Responses to the proposed thought experiment might yield some clarity on this point.

My sense is that the terms ‘Internet coordination’ and ‘Internet administration’ are unused terms that could be used to clarify discussions, but for some reason they have not been adopted by many others.  Using more precise and shared terms to discuss the issues within  the different strata of Vint’s diagram, sent in an earlier e-mail, would IMO be very helpful in making progress in these discussions.

Let’s concentrate on recognizing, defining and identifying problems  —  it’s more important and, at least for me, more satisfying than semantic arguments.

George