[discuss] [governance] NTIA statement

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Mon Mar 17 18:38:31 UTC 2014

Shatan, Gregory S. <GShatan at ReedSmith.com> [2014-03-16 19:22:42]:
> The Snowden leaks provided a convenient soapbox for the EU and others to climb on and demand this transition.

The Snowden leaks gave not just the EC, but the US government too (and
not to forget the I*s) a convenient excuse for this transition.

> Perhaps the EU member states should throw open their surveillance activities for public scrutiny, so that we could compare and contrast the levels and types of mass surveillance actually going on.  Then we could make more reasoned judgments about "issues of trust."
> Since the EU isn't really a "government," and presumably does not itself take on significant surveillance activities, it has "plausible deniability" when it comes to such things.  This allows the EU to "throw the first stone," while not really being "without sin."

Do you honestly believe that?

See PE 493.032 - http://goo.gl/quSyBp and PE 474.405 -
http://goo.gl/6Rj9eb for examples of the EU studies into this.  PE
493.032 contains a wealth of information about surveillance in EU countries.

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society