[discuss] IANA missing information

Jaap Akkerhuis jaapna at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 17 19:54:00 UTC 2014

On Mar 17, 2014, at 20:08, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:

> One step that should be fixed in the IANA table:
>
> 1. I click on the IDN label of a country code.
>
> 2. The Delegation Record page opens with a "ISO link for decoding the
> two-letter codes".
>
> 3. I click on the link and a ISO page opens saying I can check the ISO
> code if I cough up CHF300, which is more than US$300! What is wrong with
> these guys??

Note, this is not IANA related.  ISO has changed its web site and
the table is gone as the page to which the link points clearly says.

If you hit on that first link in the page (OBP in the sentence
"codes are now available on the OBP) you get via the database look
up page directly the current table.  Clicking on entries will get
you details about these entries.  Again, note you are looking this
up directly in the ISO database, it has nothing to do with IANA.
All this is part of the ISO website and for more information, have
a look at the country codes page:
<http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards/country_codes.htm>

> This is not good. 3166-1 table is a simple linear, basically static text
> list of country codes, why would anyone have to pay to look at it?

The ISO 3166 standard is less static then one assumes but you don’t
need to pay if you want to look in the on-line database.  You have
to pay money in case you want a subscription to all the data of the
database

	jaap