[discuss] On the technical side

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Mar 17 20:02:15 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 06:54:32PM +0100, JFC Morfin wrote:

> And I have answered you in detail that if you do not see it in just
> thinking of that text, and need for someone to point it to you, we
> have a problem.

This answer amounts to, "It is obvious, and if you say it is not, you
are wrong."  Thanks.

> The problem IS that you do not see the first and
> main problem. That it is all over writen in reference and only in
> reference to the US law. And therefore that it is subject and only
> subject to the US law.

But that's because the IETF Trust is in fact a trust created under
some national law, and that national law happens to be that of the US.
I'm not sure why you think there's a problem here, and even more I
don't know what you think it has to do with the IANA functions.

But in any case,

> law. And therefore to every non-US citizen. The same as it would be
> foreign to every non-French citizen if it had be written in French
> in the sole French law context.

if what you want is an agreement that has the guaranteed effect of
national law under every nation, then what you need is an
international treaty organization covering every single country where
each publication does not come into force until the national law of
every single member country is updated to implement the new provision,
and there are no errors in said updating of the member countries' laws
such that there are differences in the interpretation of the law from
one country to another.  I think you would find this sort of regime
somewhat more hostile to innovation than the current one, but I am
prepared to be wrong.  I also suggest that, if you are able to achieve
this result across every single country, you should try your hand at
world peace!

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com