[discuss] elephant in the room

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Mar 18 01:16:05 UTC 2014

John:
You make some interesting comments about registries and their interests below:

>Concerns about a rogue ICANN may also be equally easily reformulated as concerns about a "rogue registry >system" (i.e.. ICANN and co-aligned DNS registries) taking actions contrary to the outputs of the global >community, so while strong registry- based oversight of ICANN may indeed be desirable, it is unlikely to be >singularly sufficient to get the job done.

Would you make the same comments about the RIRs? If I am not mistaken, RIRs are membership organizations composed of network operators who are IP address holders. Would you say that these governance institutions (the RIRs) operate in the general interest of the Internet and the public, or that the system is skewed toward the commercial interests of network operators.