[discuss] Wired: US pledges to loosen grip on net. Don't be fooled

McTim mctimconsulting at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 11:19:46 UTC 2014

I agree with Greg, it is not very well researched.

For example, the sentence:

"The structure of ICANN is skewered to private interests, with
governments taking an advisory role."

Is untrue.  "There is a new sheriff in town" in recent years and it's
called the GAC.  If one is trying to launch a new gTLD, the silly
hoops that one has to go through and the limits on potential business
models all come from the GAC.

The GAC for instance pushed the idea that no new gTLD can have the
word "Olympic" or even "olympia"  at any level or ".uk"  at any level.
 This is a radical paradigm shift in DNS administration, and while
this had substantial opposition, the biz folks and IP folks and the
Board of ICANN didn't have the temerity to stand up to such
foolishness.  As a result, there is no longer the ability to have a
hierarchical (by geography) namespace.

In other words, MG can't register the name
canadian.internetgovernance.guru if he wanted to or the Canadian Green
Party can't get ca.green if they had wanted to do so.

If you read the new Registry Agreement from ICANN, it's all about the
GAC getting their way.

In other words, the author is deeply wrong about many things on many
levels, she just doesn't appear to know it.

Regards,

McTim