[discuss] Republicans Uneasy About ICANN Decision, Schedule Hearing

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Mar 19 19:31:27 UTC 2014

Carolina,

I quoted the immediate reaction of GOP, they obviously continue. Your
quote of the  FCC  Commissionner  is also interesting. If you
consider them carefully (as well as RFC 6852) you might have, like I
have, the distinctive feeling that the real issue is not so much the
decision about what to do, but that it has to be collective, so no
one can be made responsible of a failure.

The decision is not that easy for the USG. They have managed an
incredible development for all, they are the leading beneficiary. But
they know this is partly a piece of luck, partly due to their
funding, partly to a fundamental enthusiasm of a little group of
people that may not renew or enlarge to the global diversity. The
real question is the one RFC 6852 starts with: the "huge bounty"
resulting from the internet and the web. And (IMHO) of the missing
middle-layer between these two propositions: intelligence.

What is worrying too, for everyone, is the NTIA lie: that the Class
IN topzone db.file is the core of the Internet. It is difficult to
know what will be the political response to the Class "IN" TopRep file.

Certainly, the ICANN "ROOT" now also includes the IP addresses, but
will it be enough to calm the TM lobby? Will the Democrats be able to
show that the decisions were also Republican, that Richard Clarke's
doctrine was not applied by any side, that BGP is still as vulnerable
as before?

The real problem, we civil society IUsers (informed users) face is
the uncertainty between now and end 2015. Every technical development
we can engage and innovation we can propose must stay away from the
IETF technology, because derivative works can be legally objected in US courts.

jfc