[discuss] discuss Digest, Vol 4, Issue 145

Keith Davidson keith at internetnz.net.nz
Fri Mar 21 09:45:57 UTC 2014

Thanks Wolfgang for the further triggers to memories of the "good old
days" I recall several significant ccTLDs seriously discussing the
deployment of alternate root servers and walking out of the ICANN
process altogether - such was the dismay with the idea of the 3-way
contracts ICANN was insisting on.

Since its inception, ICANN has tried to intertwine the IANA contract
into its own activities to the extent of making IANA inextricable from
ICANN. So while those early days were really unhealthy, I don't think
there has ever been a particularly healthy state for ICANN in regard to
the IANA function. The last contract renewal with its forced functional
separation possibly caused some discomfort.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to remind us all that we need the
right "checks and balances" to ensure the current and future ICANN is
fully accountable and transparent and the best way to achieve this is
through a structural separation of policy and procedure for the IANA
function.

Cheers

Keith