[discuss] FW: Comcast undertakes 9 year IETF cosponsorship!?

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Sat Mar 22 19:17:34 UTC 2014

I'm not defending anything but what I believe.  I gravely doubt that Michael's misdiagnosis is what the majority of the world believes.  Even if it were, it would be a mistake to deal with the very real issues we have before us based on a misdiagnosis, just because a group believes it.  I acknowledge that there are a range of beliefs we need to deal with, but when they are wrong, we need to stand firm against them, not try to accommodate them.

I think that these types of "over the top" accusations actually do a disservice on another level -- they obscure and discredit more measured concerns about access, power, and influence.  We do need to deal with those issues, but tarring and feathering entire organizations and their participants will not get us there.  And frankly, I think that is far more of an "ad personam" attack on each of us who participate in these groups than a jocular award for staking out a position that I among many others (I could claim the majority of the world, but I'm no  more qualified than you or anyone else here to speak for that group) find lacks merit, basis and credibility.

Greg Shatan

-----Original Message-----
From: Jefsey [mailto:jefsey at jefsey.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2014 2:51 PM
To: Shatan, Gregory S.; 'michael gurstein'; 'McTim'
Cc: bestbits; '1Net List'; governance at lists.igcaucus.org
Subject: Re: [discuss] FW: Comcast undertakes 9 year IETF cosponsorship!?

At 18:29 22/03/2014, Shatan, Gregory S. wrote:
>your accusations regarding IETF, ISOC and the multistakeholder
>organizations are quite outrageous and completely unsupported.

Dear Gregory,
I understand you dislke Micahel's diagnosis but this is exactly what one can decide to read in RFC 3869 and RFC 6852 (the amount is there qualified as a "huge bounty"). Anyway this has no importance. The truth in this case is that it is what the majority of the world thinks (right or not) and that it is the situation we have to cope with. You (men of speech) with your words, us (VGN Managers) with our acts and decisions.

>I’m fairly confident that no matter what anyone does, says, or shows,
>you will stick to this worldview.  Since it would be a waste of time to
>crawl into the ditch with you and argue these points,

Yes. I know that as a lawyer this is your admirable job, to defend people. But in this case the task is not to defend anyone but to protect the whole multitude from hurting misunderstandings. Be sure, and this is not a good news, but it is the reality, that it will take time now before a foreign informant accepts to put his life at stake to inform the CIA or the NSA of something dangerous for you, or a country to trust US President's "evidences", or a non-US user to believe in the necessity of an ICANN single authoritative root file.

>I will install award you the first, inaugural “Tin Foil Beret�
>award.  As you can tell from the name, I didn’t expect that you would
>be the first winner, but as a resident of a quasi-Francophone country,
>you’re more than qualified on style as well as substance.

I am afraid this is ad personam and no more ad hominem. I am not sure of the reason why you allude to Francophones?
jfc

                                                                * * *

This E-mail, along with any attachments, is considered
confidential and may well be legally privileged. If you have received it in
error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply
e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or
use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other
person. Thank you for your cooperation.

                                                                * * *

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we
inform you that, unless otherwise indicated in writing, any U.S. Federal tax
advice contained in this communication  (including any attachments) is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (1)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state
and local provisions or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another
party any tax-related matters addressed herein.
                                                                        Disclaimer Version RS.US.20.10.00