[discuss] FW: Comcast undertakes 9 year IETF cosponsorship!?

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 14:16:52 UTC 2014

Many countries now have laws governing the behavior of lobbyists and
requiring them  to register if they are going to act as lobbyists in
attempting to influence public policy. The intent is specifically to ensure
that there are controls and some imposed transparency on the attempts by
lobbyists to influence public policy in support of the interests of their
corporate clients.

One issue that obviously arises with respect to multistakeholderism is the
lack of such laws and such registration. (In response to your question such
transparency might be useful even in a forum such as this one for example,
so we know who is being paid to express certain opinions and whose opinions
represent which corporate interests.)