[discuss] FW: Comcast undertakes 9 year IETF cosponsorship!?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Mar 23 14:51:20 UTC 2014

On Sunday 23 March 2014 07:46 PM, michael gurstein wrote:
> Many countries now have laws governing the behavior of lobbyists and
> requiring them  to register if they are going to act as lobbyists in
> attempting to influence public policy. The intent is specifically to ensure
> that there are controls and some imposed transparency on the attempts by
> lobbyists to influence public policy in support of the interests of their
> corporate clients.
>
> One issue that obviously arises with respect to multistakeholderism is the
> lack of such laws and such registration. (In response to your question such
> transparency might be useful even in a forum such as this one for example,
> so we know who is being paid to express certain opinions and whose opinions
> represent which corporate interests.)

In this context, may be useful to state that there is an Indian law
under which conditions can be put on policy NGOs that they cannot accept
money from corporates working in the same area as
the one in which that NGO does policy advocacy. NGOs that receive any
kind of government money have to publicly reveal - in a proactive
manner, that is, publish it over web - *all sources* of their funds....

parminder