[discuss] FW: Comcast undertakes 9 year IETF cosponsorship!?

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 15:16:52 UTC 2014

Stephen,

As I  said before I am not sufficiently familiar with the IETF to comment on
its internal processes.

However, the IETF is presented (and most of those involved appear to
enthusiastically welcome its role) as a significant element in, and even
exemplar of multistakeholderism where MSism is the preferred modality for
public policy making in an Internet Governance context.

Issues of conflict of interest, lobbyist registration/transparency,
suborning of processes etc. would thus need to apply with the IETF equally
as elsewhere unless of course traditional concerns for ensuring that the
public interest is foremost in public policy making is seen as no longer
relevant in the midst of MSist "enhanced democracy".

How precisely this could/should be done in the overall context of MSism and
specifically the IETF (or whatever) would seem to me to be a rather basic
element in any useful plan for the implementation of MSism which goes beyond
memes and slogans. This BTW is something whose presentation I have been
waiting on with considerable anticipation for a very long time.