[discuss] [governance] Re: Brazil's Marco Civil approved by Chamber of Deputies!!

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 02:04:31 UTC 2014

this is a collective victory!!!! after many many years of work of a lot of
people in different levels of action - from guerrilla to lobbying to
academia to advocacy !

articles of interest

3 - principles: I - freedom of expression, II - privacy protection, III -
protection of personal data, IV - NN, V - preservation of security,
stability and functionality of the network, VI - liability of actors, VII -
preservation of the participate nature of the internet,  VII - freedoms for
business models - which telcos have already commented on in a press release
saying this is freedom of consumer choice and is related to different
prices for speeds and services)
7 and 8 - good articles regulating and protecting freedom of expression and
privacy
9 - NN
11 - they took out mandate to nationalize databases and now the article say
when the Brazilian law is applicable (jurisdiction was always the main
issue here)
13 - log retention for 1 year by the access provider
15 - log retention for 6 months by the application provider
18, 19 and 20 - take down of content with judicial order and ISP liability
just after that
21 - ISP subsidiary liability related to publication of private content
with nudity (a result of a outcry related to the of a couple of teenagers
in Brazil )

good news - all with due process

but I think that, due to the political situation in Brazil, this is the
best we could have asked for

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Stephanie Perrin <
stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Congratulations, this is excellent news! Please send the link to the final
> text!
> Stephanie Perrin
> On Mar 25, 2014, at 8:15 PM, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:
>
> > [sorry for eventual duplicates, you will understand why]
> >
> > Dear people, very good news from Brazil: after a nearly four-year
> battle, "Marco Civil da Internet" (Internet's Civil Rights Framework) was
> approved by the Brazilian Chamber of Deputies.
> >
> > Our dear ex-minister of Culture and staunch militant for the cause,
> Gilberto Gil, just posted on twitter:
> >
> > "Vencemos! O #MarcoCivil foi aprovado!! Por uma rede
> neutralizada,liberdade de expressão e proteção à privacidade!"
> >
> > "We won! #MarcoCivil has been approved!! For net neutrality, freedom of
> expression and protection of privacy!"
> >
> > I am happy!
> >
> > fraternal regards
> >
> > --c.a.

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

*Carolina Rossini*
*Project Director, Latin America Resource Center*
Open Technology Institute
*New America Foundation*
//
http://carolinarossini.net/