[discuss] What is MSism?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 12:07:38 UTC 2014

<cc list trimmed as per good netiquette>

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:16 AM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tks McTim,
>
> That paper does provide some clarity while overall reinforcing my central
> point  -- multistakeholderism transfers power to the beneficiaries of the
> Internet and away from the democracy that gives protection to everyone else.

Your insistence that MSism is a new pheonomenon in IG ignores the
history of the past 40 years.

It is clear that many of us (most of us I am guessing) on 1Net prefer
direct democracy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_democracy

Direct democracy (also known as pure democracy)[1] is a form of
democracyin which people decide (e.g. vote on, form consensus on,
etc.) policy initiatives directly, as opposed to arepresentative
democracy in which people vote for representatives who then decide
policy initiatives.[2]

Given that 1Net is all about MSism:

"As part of the multistakeholder approach, /1net is hosting an open,
global onlineforum about Internet governance. Together, we can develop
a framework that will help grow and strengthen our interconnected
world in the public interest. "

source: 1net.org

I doubt that this is really open to debate on this list.

Given my experience in MS processes (including WSIS) over the last
decade+ it is clear to me that the MS model is one that works far
better in protecting an open Internet than representative democracy.
Those MS processes aren't about power, but largely about which ideas
are better than others (WSIS was an exception to this rule).

YMMV.

--
Cheers,

McTim