[discuss] What is MSism?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 14:04:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

Perhaps I wasn't very clear.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:

> Hi McTim,
>
> Am 28.03.2014 13:07, schrieb McTim:
>
>> <cc list trimmed as per good netiquette>
>

>> Your insistence that MSism is a new pheonomenon in IG ignores the
>> history of the past 40 years.
>

> I'd say it is a new term for a phenomenon much older than the past 40 years.
> Parliamentary hearings, for example, often follow the multistakeholder
> approach. So does the German parliamentary inquiry commission. What seems
> more recent is the idea to adapt this model to transnational regulation.
>

>> It is clear that many of us (most of us I am guessing) on 1Net prefer
>> direct democracy:
>

> Is it?

If, as 1net.org says we are about:

"ongoing effort to address Internet Governance challenges, and agreed
to catalyze community-wide efforts towards the evolution of global
multistakeholder Internet cooperation."

Then I think it obvious that 1net is committed to MSism, n'est-ce pas?

I didn't mean to imply that everyone on this list was devoted to
direct democracy in every situation.

My point was to make it clear that the rep. democracy vs MSism
discussion is pointless on this list, as we are working on "the
evolution of global multistakeholder Internet cooperation", or should
be if we weren't distracted. ;-)

--
Cheers,

McTim