[discuss] What is MSism?

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Mar 28 17:54:54 UTC 2014

At 17:28 28/03/2014, nathalie coupet wrote:
>Hello Andrew and George,
>With MS-ism, there seems to be an increased awareness that
>stakeholders are not on an equal footing, that decisions taken
>according to MS processes are not predictable and this clashes with
>the promise of empowerment for all that MS seems to have made.
>Discouragement, disillusion and frustration will certainly follow.

Nathalie,

MS-ism is a functional management system called concertation in EU.
The problem we face is the reluctance of the incumbents to welcome
new commers because they do not identify how the whole thing can
work. The legal formula in Telecommunications is competition through
the unbundling of the incumbents propositions. This leads to what is
called coopetition where you may compete with your own customers
because they may be better/cheaper than you in using your own
products on a market segment.

Frustration only comes, for the time being, from ICANN having still
some difficulty understanding that the removal of the NTIA political
protection makes it join the common telecommunications coopetitive
life. To the countrary it tries to confort its position in bundling
things, e.g. the bundled IANA/ICANN globalization.

This is because ICANN has not identified yet its market. It still
wants to please the NTIA instead of attracting customers. All the
accountability, etc. stuff is of strictly no interest to users. It is
of importance to the Juge in case one, or a class of, customers sues
them. What customers want is usueful, stable, secure, competitive
deliverables.

ICANN has now the problem of publishing the catalog and the prices of
its products on an open market, while it operates since its inception
on a protected market. This is why our ICANN-ICP-3 conformant
experimentation project (HomeRoot, SuperIANA, (hapy)IP-user) is
important for them to sense their new context. We cannot
individually, at the begining, be yet on an equal footing with the
incumbent, but the incumbent is only a part of our multitude.

Let do like the NTIA: forget about ICANN and live your life.
Come in Montpellier in July!

jfc

>Nathalie

].