[discuss] What is MSism?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Mar 29 09:54:02 UTC 2014

On Friday 28 March 2014 07:32 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 08:07:38AM -0400, McTim wrote:
> SNIP
>> Those MS processes aren't about power, but largely about which ideas
>> are better than others […].
> I think this is where we should concentrate.

Who decides which idea is better is what constitutes power...

Using 'merit' to justify power can be the modern day equivalent to use
of 'blood' (or lineage) to justify power in the feudal age.... Just that
we are often too close to the phenomenon - and enjoy its benefits far
too much - to be able to assess it critically, but try we must....

Was it the best idea that generic words like book and beauty and
cultural names like amazon be handed over to corporations as private
property in the form of private TLDs, or was it the power of some to be
able to manage those results, remains an open question.

Legitimacy based on political equality of all people is the first basis
of any governance structure, merit comes only after that...

parminder