[discuss] The NTIA/ICANN transitioning Process

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 14:35:34 UTC 2014

Hello all,

There has been quite a lot of traffic on this subject and from all
indication only a few will disagree that ICANN has been unable to deliver
on it's role as per the contract. This means that operation wise ICANN is
well positioned. What we have all been clamouring for (before the
announcement) was the removal of the USG oversight which puts the USG in a
position to determine how ICANN  *administratively* operate. Which also
restrict ICANN from fully serving the global community in all fairness. I
was speaking with a Sudanese fellow who mentioned how difficult it was for
him to attend the ICANN meetings and how ICANN has made effort to enable
him attend. This is an example of a problem of the USG oversight which
unfortunately is beyond ICANN(the con side of the current oversight). A
Sudanese that reads the NTIA statement will be glad that there is now hope.
So a scenario to ponder on will be; if the NTIA statement is implemented
will it improve the Sudanese participation? Expected answer should be yes.
While attending meeting was used as an example, this extend to the business
side.
The pro side of the current oversight is that it has ensured that ICANN
delivers the contract terms accordingly.

However the question is how do we ensure that ICANN does not get exited of
it's new "freedom" and bring us back to current status-quo?

It is therefore obvious that ICANN processes at the top needs to be updated
and I think the top is the organisation's *bylaw*. The bylaw needs to be
updated to reflect the pro advantage of the NTIA oversight without
introducing a new governmental or inter-governmental monopoly.

The update would have just been done by the ever improving ICANN
multistakeholder environment. However the NTIA has given his requirement
for the transition which indicates that the proposed new process should be
developed in consultation with all stakeholder interested. This is where
the development process goes beyond ICANN.
So ICANN should therefore put up a process to involving stakeholders beyond
it's immediate multistakeholder platform.[1]

Regards
1. I have sent in some suggestion on how other stakeholder beyond ICANN can
be included during the call initiated for this by ICANN.

sent from Google nexus 4
kindly excuse brevity and typos.