[discuss] What is MSism?

S Moonesamy sm+1net at elandsys.com
Sat Mar 29 14:25:36 UTC 2014

Hi Parminder,
At 02:54 29-03-2014, parminder wrote:
>Who decides which idea is better is what constitutes power...
>
>Using 'merit' to justify power can be the modern
>day equivalent to use of 'blood' (or lineage) to
>justify power in the feudal age.... Just that we
>are often too close to the phenomenon - and
>enjoy its benefits far too much - to be able to
>assess it critically, but try we must....

There was a satire [1] published in 1958.  It
introduced the word "meritocracy" to the
world.  Nowadays there are systems where reward
or advancement is based on merit.

Who decides which idea is better can be a form of
power.  An alternative is to leave the decision
to an (open) group of people.  Another
alternative is to decide through voting.  This is
where it get complex as one has to choose a
voting system and who is eligible to vote.

The theories about the above could be
discussed.  In my opinion the discussion would
not be that useful without facts.  The reason for
requesting facts is that anyone, irrespective of
merit, can assess the matter critically.

There was a comparision of the "ICANN PDP to
policy development processes in Regional Internet
Registries and the standardization and policy
development processes in the IETF and ITU".  The
conclusion was that the ICANN's PDP was the most
open and transparent.  Quoting the ITU Secretary-General [2]:

   "I was pleased because ITU – which it is my
privilege to lead – can truly be said
    to have invented the concept of multi-stakeholderism."

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. humor that shows the weaknesses or bad
qualities of a person, government, society, etc.
2. http://www.itu.int/en/osg/speeches/Pages/2012-09-26.aspx