[discuss] CircleID post: a way forward on what "Internet Governance" is, and is not

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 18:39:10 UTC 2014

Nick,

Thanks for this and it seems to be a useful approach.

A problem with it however, is that while folks like you and your colleagues
would like to restrict the notions of "Internet Governance" to the primarily
technical/infrastructure;  as I've been trying to point out, there are very
strong forces at work attempting to project the notions and approaches to IG
into much broader spheres both within the Internet frame and beyond.

That's why I use the terminology of Global (Internet) Governance as - based
on the Aspen report and the St. Amour-Tapscott papers -- the intention is to
drive the frameworks of Internet Governance into broader Internet related
policy spheres (as you note in your post) and much beyond into frameworks
for global governance overall, based of course on the economic and social
transformations which the Internet is precipitating.

I'm not really sure what to suggest could be done about this but it is
something to be aware of, I believe.

Best,