[discuss] What is MSism?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 17:50:19 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> McTim and all,
>
> I know this discussion has taken place quite extensively on the Governance
> e-list but probably it might be worthwhile to have some clarification here
> as well, as again we seem to be using the same words but with quite
> different meanings.

yes, and we did there as well.

I use a wider definition of CS than do you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_society

> In most contexts the term "Civil Society" does NOT refer simply to those
> people who are left over when you remove all the other
> categories/stakeholder groups (e.g. biz, technical and governmental).

well according to the above definition, (and many other online
definitions) of CS, technical bodies are CS.

You have to recall that the WSIS silos are completely arbitrary and artificial.

> Rather it refers to with groupings of people concerned with certain types of
> issues -- mostly having to do with things like human rights, social justice,
> good governance, and the common good.
>
> For a useful illustration of the kinds of issues which are of interest to
> "Civil Society" in most parts of the world and in most policy sectors please
> see the attached.

As Hamlet said to Horatio;

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt
of in your philosophy."

--
Cheers,

McTim