[discuss] What kind of "governance" do you want? (was Re: What is MSism?) practical considerations

joseph alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Sun Mar 30 21:41:28 UTC 2014

Colleagues:

While I appreciate the discussion that has been going on between folks
on the list, I wonder if we are losing focus on the practical
implications of some of these issues?  I apologize if this has been
discussed in one of the many posts to this thread, I have not been able
to keep up with all of them.

What is the democracy we are discussing?  What percentage of the
population is concerned with, or knowledgeable about, Internet
Governance/Msm?  It seems like our proposed town hall is already a
self-selected, though perhaps not completely representative, group.
Furthermore, there are operational dimensions to some Internet
Governance functions which need expertise and efficiency for continued
stability and operational functionality.  These are not the remit of
straw polls or many other democratic processes which by definition take
time and deliberation.

There may well be number of topics which could benefit from a broader
and more inclusive societal dialog, but that is not all topics or issues.

While I know the word "role" has baggage from previous controversies
where roles were used to needlessly limit participation, can we agree
that context remains relevant and not everyone is capable of
participating in each conversation/action/mechanism?

Best-

Joe