[discuss] What kind of "governance" do you want? (was Re: What is MSism?)

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Mon Mar 31 05:33:49 UTC 2014

Dear Stephen,

On Sunday, March 30, 2014, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie>
wrote:

> I figure we do want and need to do better in how the
> Internet is run, e.g. in terms of getting requirements from
> less well connected parts of the world, or in terms of
> figuring out whatever it is that the EU commission want
> when they talk about taking public policy into account
> when developing technical standards (which totally puzzles
> me at least;-).

I'm puzzled that you, of all, are puzzled. :)

How is this *not* "taking public policy into account when developing
technical standards":
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-farrell-perpass-attack/ ?

(The fact that the document goes to great lengths to not take a position on
the merits of what it defines "pervasive monitoring" does not, in my view,
change the fact that such "pervasive monitoring" is, obviously, an issue of
public policy of great importance, whatever opinion one might have about
it).

How is this *not* taking steps to facilitate a structured conversation
(using more than a mailing list) about technical issues with public policy
implications: https://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/ppm-legacy-review/ ?

By the way, whether this is done with the "broad involvement of all
stakeholders" is a different issue. I don't believe in this or other cases
it has been or is currently the case, but I know well the opinion of most
IETF participants as we discussed at length in the IAB InternetGovTech
mailing list, where I still owe an answer or two to some people.

Best,

Andrea

I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
in mind.
Twitter: @andreaglorioso
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/andrea.glorioso
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=1749288&trk=tab_pro