[discuss] Network neutrality language [wascFINAL VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT - FOR PRINTING]

Mike Roberts mmr at darwin.ptvy.ca.us
Fri May 2 21:40:24 UTC 2014

If there is to be progress on net neutrality, the advocates for it need to take a full stop and review the technical reality of what is before us. The search for convenient one-liners is leading many astray, including legislatures.

Brian’s note touches the tip of the iceberg.

Reality also includes legal and regulatory reality.  Enforceable good behavior by providers involves more than arm waving.  Especially since the law of unintended consequences is almost guaranteed to operate in such a fast changing environment.

Remember how certain we were in the US about how breaking AT&T into intra-lata and inter-lata halves was going to be the perfect cure for monopoly?  Funny how it didn’t turn out that way.  Billions were spent driving wedges through switching centers in search of competition.  What actually happened was that packet switching on fiber links destroyed circuit switching and the empires that had grown up around it.

The FCC has lost twice in the courts trying to find a statutorily acceptable solution to Open Internet challenges. And consumed a half dozen years in the process. Chairman Wheeler is getting it from all sides as he seeks a fresh approach that will not be turned around in court yet again. A “feel good” solution that is reversed in 2018, leaving us then where we are now doesn’t sound exciting, does it?

Let’s not give ourselves credit for more knowledge about how to deal with net neutrality than we possess.

- Mike