[discuss] [bestbits] Shoshanna Zuboff: Dark Google

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat May 3 09:47:40 UTC 2014

+1 Nick

Michael, the paper you sent (BTW, really bad form to copy the whole thing
rather than providing a link, for far more reasons than mobile devices)
strikes me as a backgrounder. Its relevance *here* strikes me as peripheral
unless you wish to argue that Google is not a legitimate stakeholder.

If not that, then what is the action point you wish to raise *here* as
result of the piece. "Fear Google" is in itself insufficient IMO, but I
genuinely want to know how you would have this group react.

Netmundial, arguably a significant 1Net milestone, demonstrated that it is
possible to include very large, very invasive and very fear-worthy actors
in the process. Furthermore, in a rough consensus model, no one player has
a veto.

Are you suggesting that Google requires different treatment?