[discuss] Internet: the INTER-connection of local NET-works

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Mon May 5 15:57:06 UTC 2014

It is good that you identify this as "philosophical," since it is not an expression of fact.

In particular, the concept that all parties are at one of two "extremal poles" is both incorrect and dangerous.  It leads to all sorts of flaws in reasoning and analysis, since by doing so, one fails to distinguish the differences between the positions of various parties, as well as the common ground that various parties can find.

Assuming for the moment that these are valid "poles," I would instead suggest that parties are arrayed along a spectrum between these two poles, with a mixture of "self-interest" and "public interest" (assuming that is consistent with your concept of "free communication").

I think it is also flawed to align those who "use the communication requirements in order to realize [their] own interests" with "those for which the current structures and organizations are important".  There may be overlap between these two "sets," but they are not by any means the same.  Many who support the "current structures and organizations" do not do so out of self-interest, but because they believe these are valid mechanisms to achieve the public interest.  (I'll note that most who support the current structures and organizations do not do so uncritically -- "support" does not equal "worship.")  Conversely, many self-interested parties are not particularly fond of the current structures and organizations.  They may work for some but not for others.

One of the problems with "philosophical" discussions is that they tend to be abstracted and avoid concrete terms and identifications. In other words, it can be hard to identify what someone is saying or where they are coming from.  Cutting through the "we" and the "those" it is my impression that your philosophy is "anti-corporate" and/or "anti-private sector" and/or "anti-capitalist."  I'm not making a judgment, just an observation.

Understanding this as your point of origin, your following statement is consistent with this orientation:

"We are inevitably confronted with the private appropriation of human knowledge. This is not a problem for me, because for me knowledge is always world heritage. This eliminates all the justifications for legal systems to patents and licenses. This is because basically our individual knowledge rests on the knowledge of our ancestors and contemporaries."

It is good to know that you have rejected every legal system in the world.  This may be splendid philosophically, but it renders anything you propose impossible as a practical matter.  Knowledge is not something that merely exists, it is created.  Therefore, to claim that it is "appropriated" is a loaded statement.   The balance between rewarding those who create and advance knowledge and allowing for "freedom of knowledge" underpins all legal systems relating to intellectual property (and more).  There is certainly room for debate on this balance (and there is a mountain of debate out there), but taking the "extremal pole" that all knowledge is free is not going to advance that debate or have any practical result.

Finally, I would note that the very idea that all "actors" are at one of two "extremal poles" is inconsistent with the very idea of the consensus-driven multistakeholder process.  If all stakeholders clung to one or another "extremal pole" stakeholders could never develop consensus.  In a well-designed multistakeholder process, the consensus mechanism forces parties to let go of their "pole positions" to try and create a position that is not at any pole. A philosophy that puts  all actors at two poles has no method to resolve conflict other than power.  And this is certainly a result to be avoided.

Greg Shatan