[discuss] African take on Net Neutrality

FSP4NET alliance at fsp4.net
Tue May 13 16:08:30 UTC 2014

At 14:38 13/05/2014, Ali Hussein wrote:
>Interesting read. It definitely made me appreciate the pros and cons
>on this highly contentious issue. In fact I would venture to even
>suggest a sort of 'Affirmative Action' to ensure that the very
>under-served parts of the continent are quickly brought online even
>if it means going against some basic tenets of Net Neutrality - of
>which I am a big proponent of.
>Ali Hussein

Dear Ali,
We are somewhat lost here. How such bringing online means going
against net neutrality tenets?
It is self investing into a common infrastructure at no community
debt. Does net-neutrality call for bankers?

In fact this seems (this is the way I read it as myself being a local
meshed network [non-profit] project leader): we bootstrap with a
minimum $ 10 monthtly subscription fee and $ 10 discount, everything
in addition to a 0 monthly traffic being charged on a per minute
basis. Then we deacrease the discount and increase the monthly traffic.

Or for more sophisticated devices
(http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/may/12/glenn-greenwald-nsa-tampers-us-internet-routers-snowden)?
Best

jfc