[discuss] African take on Net Neutrality

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sat May 17 12:36:40 UTC 2014

Hello Barry,

Thanks a lot for providing such helpful clarification. I have a few more
comments/question and concerns ;)

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:

> Should Netflix pay for more bandwidth to provide for their customers'
> demands, or should Comcast provide more bandwidth to provide for THEIR
> customers' demands. Who all happen to be the exact same people.
>
> But to clarify I think Netflix is happy to pay for whatever bandwidth
> is needed for their service, that's not the issue.

Okay noted that this is out of the issue

> It's that Comcast at first refused to sell it to them (I'm sure
> Comcast corporate would word that differently.)

I will also call a fault in this if comcast refused.

> So the issue of whether this was anti-competitive arose since both Comcast
> and Netflix are content (mostly professional video) providers.
>
> Then Comcast said ok we'll sell it to you but you have to pay us a premium
> because you're making all this money off our last-mile customers.

Hmm...this is unfair, perhaps to further appreciate the situation. Could
you kindly educate me on what "premium" really mean? does it mean comcast
charges netflix more than the normal port cost?

<snip>

> >For me i think its just a coincidence that netflix happen to be on comcast
> >network. What if they were not on that network, will they not have
> upgraded
> >their bandwidth once they notice they were hitting threshold?
>
> Well, this speaks to anti-trust and all that. Comcast is the largest home
> internet service provider in the US. They are trying to buy Time-Warner,
> the second largest.

Okay maybe.

> But it isn't so it's reasonable to raise issues of anti-trust, unfair
> competition, etc.

Yeah i agree but not really a net neutrality issue per see. Issue of
company monopoly happens in many countries for instance; government gives
license to certain organisation and deny the rest even when they meet
requirement. So you are right anti-trust and unfair competition is what
could be at play here.

Thanks

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*