[discuss] NETmundial and CSTD mtg

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Sun May 18 11:19:34 UTC 2014

There is a big ocean out there that can't be boiled.

Tim Berners-Lee's magna carta idea is an attempt to set out agreed top
level principles to frame how those interventions within and between
Governments on matters related to privacy and security over digital
networks are handled. That is a big idea.

The top level of IG debate is being bogged down by a lack of such
understanding and the failure to separate national security interests
from the management of network resources. There is a long history and
deeply embedded institutional frameworks that have tied these two
tightly together and it is going to take a huge shift in culture, based
on new confidence in making significant operational changes to evolve
political expectations.

The devolution of the IANA function is a victim of this. The question is
can it be separated from the broader governmental discussion by
demarcating clearly the limit to its scope and scale whilst establishing
a form of API to support open interaction with all stakeholders
including with those at ICANN, and new developments in global
multi-lateral governance and debates at IGF and other places?

The issue here is that we may not need new institutions but we do need
new institutional thinking in almost all the existing ones. That
suggests a long period of transition ahead where the balances between
stakeholders will be fluid.

Christian