[discuss] NMI and the Brazilian CGI.br

joseph alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Mon Nov 24 09:39:50 UTC 2014

Hartmut and colleagues:

Thank you for your note.  As someone who participated in the actual Net
Mundial event, including the planning and drafting, there is no question
that Brazil understands what multistakeholder means and that it must be
bottom up.

Net Mundial faced some growing pains early on including lack of timely
information and questions of transparency in mission, participation and
process which created some concerns. Over time while some process issues
were still at issue (how to determine when consensus was reached and how
to assure all viewpoints were fairly factored in drafting), the
consultative process was seen to be both real and effective across
stakeholder groups.  The actual meeting and final drafting process
resulted in documents that were able to gain broad support.  I agree
that Net Mundial was a successful event that exceeded its expectations
at the outset of the process in many ways because of the willingness and
stamina of the Brazilian organizing team to interact frankly, directly
and consistently across all stakeholder groups.

If we contrast the Net Mundial planning and organization with NMI, the
comparison to date is much less flattering.  The initial launch of NMI
may have been seen to be plagued by some of the same issues as the
initial launch of Net Mundial: lack of information, transparency and
process at the outset; though I would argue, that these problems in NMI
were more acute and that there was much less inclusion in all phases of
its planning.  Where Net Mundial faced criticism on these issues as it
developed, it took those comments on board and worked with stakeholders
to develop appropriate solutions.  NMI at its launch was greeted with
substantial criticism and suspicion.  Types of outcomes and planning had
been decided in advance with no meaningful consultation among
stakeholders.  As I have noted in previous posts, listing company CEOs
on an invitation does not mean there had been meaningful consultation
with business stakeholders.  After the less than resounding reception
for NMI there was a statement that gave all of us hope.  Everything was
back on the table and NMI would engage in an inclusive bottom up period
of consultation for 6 months in order to reconsider direction and
process and to provide the inclusion and transparency that had been lacking.

At the IGF, envoys of NMI did speak to many stakeholders.  There was
almost a daily conceptual reinvention of NMI, which was far from helpful
as NMI meant whatever the ideas were of last conversation someone had
about it.  After the IGF, a period of radio silence ensued.  At that
point Brazil seems to have become more directly involved in the
process.  While the tone of the ensuing conceptual model of NMI is now
more inclusive, the process has remained opaque at best.  The six months
of bottom up multistakeholder consultation has not occurred in any
meaningful fashion.  The objectives of NMI have been set without the
benefit of true multistakeholder consultation, and to the extent input
was taken on board it was in a black box process where no one can
understand how or why decisions are taken. What was the breadth of
options considered; why were these chosen and how? Some objectives to
hearken back to the original launch objectives creating questions of
whether any input was really taken on board.   The current organization
and articulation of the process does not really provide anywhere near
enough information on how the breadth of participation and inclusion
will be accommodated. While the new FAQ and your e-mail go part ways to
helping start clarifications,  NMI needs to understand that it must
resolve a substantial trust deficit.  To date it has not done so.  It
also has not sufficiently clarified how it will be complementary to and
supportive of the IGF as the  forum that enables true stakeholder
discussion that helps us progress towards better understanding and
consensus and assemble practical solutions like compendia of best
practices and other tools of capacity building...

I appreciate the work all of you did to help make Net Mundial a true
multistakeholder event, as well as the heartfelt sentiment of your
letter, but NMI has significant work left to do before it can regain the
trust of the communities that it hopes to include.

In light of the continuing issues and questions that are being raised by
a number of communities, including the business community, I question
whether an early December organizational deadline is advisable or feasible.

Best Regards,

Joe