[discuss] Final draft of the IGF Mandate recommendation statement

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 21:58:09 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Niels ten Oever <lists at digitaldissidents.org
> wrote:

> 4. perhaps a bit more enchanting first sentence? Perhaps along the
> lines of: The internet is here to stay, the same should be true for
> the IGF because multistakeholder dialogue is essential for maintaining
> this crucial tool for freedom of expression, social and economical
> development.

I'm not so sure about this last point. After a long discussion in different
places, we moved away from the initial idea of seeking "permanency" for IGF
in favor of a longer term. Secondly, we don't know yet how effective the
new/strengthened IGF is going to be. Therefore it seems a little odd to me
now to compare IGF to the internet itself in terms of their... permanency!
I personally think internet can survive without IGF - this IGF - and the
language add here is not necessary. However, I just wanted to point that
out and leave it to the drafters to appreciate.
Thanks,

Mawaki