[discuss] [IANAxfer] [ccnso-igrg] Two accountability questions - help pls- Workshop 23 - ICANN accountability

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Thu Sep 4 08:15:47 UTC 2014

On 4 September 2014 11:10, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2014, at 8:14 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

<snips>

> >> There's no clear benefit  from having discrete operators, and it
> >> would require some very  significant joint coordination to make work as
> >> successfully as  the present approach.
> >
> > The potential benefit might be that the highly politicized and
> commercialized DNS-related activities would be separate from the other
> stuff, which is less controversial.
>
> I do acknowledge that the politicized nature of DNS root zone
> administration
> makes having all of the IANA registries under one operator less attractive,
> and some would argue that separation is the logical result.  The highly-
> interconnected nature of the Internet infrastructure leads me to a
> different
> conclusion, which is that every effort should be made to make
> administration
> of all Internet identifier systems more methodical, rather that hiding from
> the problem, and letting DNS registry administration become
> non-deterministic.

I don't remember seeing arguments that the IANA functions should be
disaggregated - but there is so much swirling around that I am perfectly
happy to be told I had missed it.

But: isn't the main debate the fact that there is a policy/operations
separation for protocols and numbers, but not names?

And that the simplest, most elegant way to achieve that for names is to put
the IANA functions operator in a new box?

(compared with gTLDs and ccTLDs having to form non-ICANN policy bodies... a
nightmare if ever there was one)

cheers
Jordan

--
Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*To promote the Internet's benefits and uses, and protect its potential.*