[discuss] [IANAxfer] [ccnso-igrg] Two accountability questions - help pls- Workshop 23 - ICANN accountability

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 19:32:30 UTC 2014

Milton,

maybe I should have added "overarching."

Re appeals mechanism and limits on authority, we put in a ton of both in
the 2003 reform of ICANN, building on successes and correcting on failures
of the then-existing ones. You were part of one of the most successful (to
the complainant) and expensive (for all involved except you) challenges
ever. What specifically do you find lacking now?

Alejandro Pisanty

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> It must be noted that the quest for an "independent judiciary" aligns well
> with the delusion of a single, global higher authority, i.e. the delusion
> of a world government.
>

> Huh? I see some delusions here, but not where you think they are.
>
> ICANN is nothing if not a single, global authority. The idea that it would
> have an appeals mechanism and some constitutional limits on its authority
> is fairly simple, reasonable, and – dare I say it – popular with the
> exception of ICANN managment and former board members.
>

> Milton L Mueller
>
> Syracuse University School of Information Studies
>
> Internet Governance Project
>
> http://internetgovernance.org

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty