[discuss] Future of 1net discuss

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Sep 5 08:34:38 UTC 2017

Thanks Paul for that information – it is good to know that this list and the archive are being looked after. They are an interesting piece of history. It is also good to know that there is a mailing list here with over 600 subscribers who may be interested in any future activity building on the original Netmundial meeting.

There seems to be some interested in a Netmundial+5 event in 2019, but no specific plans at this stage. This could range from a full blown independent conference to perhaps a half day meeting just before IGF2019 – so there are ways to do something useful if specific funding for a larger gathering is not available or if there is no widespread interest in a larger event.

My suggestion is that a steering committee be set up specifically to look at options for such an event. I think a new committee is necessary: both the original 1net committee and the committee from the NMI are both dormant, and I think should remain so. A new group to work on Netmundial+5 should be estabished – they can report regularly to this list on progress, and for wider feedback on meeting possibilities and  possible agendas. That I think would be a good path forward: we can establish a second mailing list for a steering group if people think this is a good idea.

What do others think? If there is sufficient interest now is probably the time to start thinking abut a 2019 event.

Ian Peter