[discuss] are we dead yet? UNHLPDC

ian.peter at ianpeter.com ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Jun 13 22:37:36 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

Last discussion here about whether to close this list suggested maybe we
should wait and see whether we want to discuss the report of the UN High
Level Panel on Digital Co-operation (UNHLPDC).

So its out now. My initial take (basically taken from another list) is
below.

Any comments from your reading of the documents?

There is a good short summary at http://nissaba.net/tldr/hlpdc-report/.
But for those who want more, the full report and also a presentation
summary are available from https://digitalcooperation.org.

I thought the report was quite insightful in places: while predictable
in others. It contains a number of structural recommendations to deal
with issues which are not being addressed well by current structures:
and also a suggested timetable to make sure they are addressed. As a UN
Report, it has credibility: it also contains a strong commitment to
multi stakeholder processes, while stressing that only governments can
make binding laws in this area.

I particularly like their recommendation 3C on lethal autonomous
weapons.

  3C: We believe that autonomous intelligent systems should be designed
in ways that enable their decisions to be explained and humans to be
accountable for their use. Audits and certification schemes should
monitor compliance of artificial intelligence (AI) systems with
engineering and ethical standards, which should be developed using
multi-stakeholder and multilateral approaches. Life and death decisions
should not be delegated to machines. We call for enhanced digital
cooperation with multiple stakeholders to think through the design and
application of these standards and principles such as transparency and
non-bias in autonomous intelligent systems in different social settings

The report also includes a number of broad structural options for
mechanisms to deal with internet issues in the future.  These need some
discussion as there is no clear answer here IMHO. But in this context
their timeframe recommendation I think is very important - with multiple
options, things like this might never be resolved unless there is a
fixed timeframe.

5A: We recommend that, as a matter of urgency, the UN SecretaryGeneral
facilitate an agile and open consultation process to develop updated
mechanisms for global digital cooperation, with the options discussed in
Chapter 4 as a starting point. We suggest an initial goal of marking the
UN's 75th anniversary in 2020 with a “Global Commitment for Digital
Cooperation” to enshrine shared values, principles, understandings and
objectives for an improved global digital cooperation architecture...

I think there is potential here for some good actions in a number of
areas, and I do hope the sort of global co-operation they envisage, and
suggest structural options for, does develop.

Ian Peter