[discuss] /1net Steering/Coordination Commitee

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Dec 20 10:25:22 UTC 2013

Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> >And here I thought the Civil Society nominating process was a
> >relative model of democratic and inclusive ideals….
> >
> >Greg Shatan
>
> Relatively speaking? It was.

In regard to the nominations for the “High Level Panel” organized by
ICANN, I agree with this assertion. For those nominations simply the
only no alternative to a hurried ad hoc process was to do nothing at
all. Under circumstances the process used was IMO reasonably good.

Michael's criticism however did not refer to this, but to the subsequent
nomination process for civil society representatives on the 1net
steering committee. That criticism is IMO valid; in that context it
would have been possible to organize a much more credible process, for
example the coordination group of major civil society networks could,
instead of doing the selections themselves, have organized a proper
NomCom process with a randomly selected NomCom similar to the kind of
process that IGC has been using on the smaller scale of making
nominations in the name of the IGC as described at
http://igcaucus.org/nomcom-process . I have in fact seriously proposed
that kind of approach, both at the Bali IGF workshop on MS selection
processes (#127), and in the relevant email conversations both before
and after the IGF, including within that coordination group of major
civil society networks.

Disclosure of personal involvement: Until my resignation from IGC
co-coordinatorship on November 27, I was part of that coordination
group of major civil society networks which Michael is criticizing.

Greetings,
Norbert