[discuss] /1net Steering/Coordination Commitee

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 12:44:25 UTC 2013

To be clear (and hopefully brief), I don't believe direct democracy would
be an effective decision making-process in this context, at this scale
(maybe unless we can set up an online system that is highly secure,
reliable and designed to provide us with fine and accurate analytical
tools, etc., etc.. you get my point.) On the other hand, I don't think we
can, nor do I expect us to, find a perfect representational system either
before we can accomplish anything, or ever. However, when we see too
obvious flaws in the already imperfect representation/delegation schemes
we're dealt, we can and should make a good faith effort to address them.

In the same spirit (and I'm glad you mentioned the education and distant
learning community which, just like potentially several others, are not
even present in this space), I am hoping that people like yourself and
others knowing of such outside and yet relevant groups would reach out to
them and make sure they hear at least our calls for inputs when the time
comes (hoping there will be those) so that they may at least submit a
written statement about their most pressing needs which processes like this
one would take into account (of course, it would be even better if they
could join the closest "stakeholder" grouping that can speak to their
needs/interests.)

The only alternate path I see, which would really be true to the opposite
position, would be to dismantle all stakeholder groups in IG, to even ban
that term from our parlance and erase that notion from our mind, and claim
that we are just a collection of individuals with personal interest in IG
and sometimes with societal concerns. Will only be listened to whoever can
afford to spend time and money (traveling to meetings, paying for internet
connection and even being able to use the working language) on the sole
basis of the merit of their ideas as individuals. And with that we will
have great outcomes for a stable and secure global Internet.

If between those two paths, anyone sees other possible, workable,
effective, sensible forms of participation, I'd be glad to hear from them.

Mawaki

*Mawaki Chango, PhD*
Founder & Principal, DIGILEXIS Consulting
http://www.digilexis.com
m.chango at digilexis.com
Mobile: +225 4448 7764
twitter.com/digilexis