[discuss] /1net Steering/Coordination Commitee

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Dec 21 18:28:32 UTC 2013

In message <52B5B32C.2030802 at cs.tcd.ie>, at 15:26:36 on Sat, 21 Dec
2013, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie> writes

>> Quite a few people have been doing that for some time (myself, on and
>> off, since 1999 for example).
>
>I didn't mean to imply it hadn't been tried. But I think results
>so far are not yet a wild success

Depends what you mean by "wild success" I suppose. I can point to
several legislative results which were vastly more acceptable to the
Internet community after I'd persuaded the legislators how things
actually worked.

One easily explained example is the way the EU's Copyright Directive
exempts caches [mainly in the network, but local ones too] from
requiring a licence from rightsholders. Such a state of affairs is taken
for granted today, and I'm not saying someone else couldn't also have
done that, but at the time I'm sure my own efforts (involving man-weeks
if not months, of effort) were very likely what tipped the balance back
in 2000/1.
--
Roland Perry