[discuss] Questions regarding business sector participation

Dave Burstein daveb at dslprime.com
Fri Dec 20 17:03:59 UTC 2013

In the U.S., ICC Basis requires a membership fee, undisclosed but based on
sales, that appears to be in the thousands. The exception is for lawyers in
solo practice, $500. As a result, there are almost no smaller businesses.

   It clearly speaks for large organizations, not the general U.S.
corporate body.

db

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM, George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at gmail.com
> wrote:

> All,
>
> I would like to ask the following questions regarding business sector
> participation in 1net and related Internet governance activities, and I
> would appreciate a public response from representatives of that sector:
>
> 1. Is ICC BASIS the sole coordinator of private sector nominations to the
> 1net steering committee and to the several of the committees that will
> support the meeting in Brazil in April 2014?
>
> 2. Does ICC BASIS restrict its nominations to within the group of
> "members" of ICC BASIS?
>
> 3. In order to be considered a member of ICC BASIS, does an organization
> have to pay a fee to ICC BASIS?
>
> 4. If so, how much is that fee, and is it a one time fee or a yearly fee?
>
> Since much of our discussion seems stuck on representation issues (to my
> dismay), let's at least get the facts in the open so that we can eliminate
> unnecessary and unproductive speculation.
>
> George

Editor, Fast Net News, Net Policy News and A Wireless Cloud
Author with Jennie Bourne  DSL (Wiley, 2002) and Web Video: Making It
Great, Getting It Noticed (Peachpit, 2008)