[discuss] Representative Multistakeholderism (was: Re: Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013)

Smith, Bill bismith at paypal.com
Tue Dec 24 18:45:03 UTC 2013

I'm with John regarding perspective and trust for steering, coordinating, and similar groups. These are (or perhaps should be) rather more administrative in function and as such may benefit from individuals more adept at organizational and management skills than issue- or constituency-specific experience.

The ideal, in my mind, are individuals that have both depth and breadth being able to bring and accept issue/constituency perspective along with organizational and process expertise. The collective (steering, coordinating, etc.) group's charge should be to establish a reference frame for acknowledgement, discussion, and resolution of issues amongst the broadest set of participants.Transparency, openness, and inclusivity are essential traits for any such framework to be accepted.

It might be necessary, or at least advisable, to consider partially relaxing adherence to those traits in the formative stages. That's of course only my opinion but I'm comfortable with such a process with the knowledge that the "real work" will be done in the open, with all able to participate, and with a transparency that ensures systemic abuse is apparent.