[discuss] IPv6 Deployment and IG

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Thu Dec 26 02:23:00 UTC 2013

I think there's at least a bit of difference between "technical coordination" and "governance."  Let me take three specific aspects of IPv6 allocation.

1. I think there is quite broad agreement that allocations and use of IPv6 address should be unique, i.e. the same address should not be allocated to two or more parties.

Building and operating the service to do this seems to me squarely an example of technical coordination.  There's no real "policy" involved and there's no contention or value judgments involved.

2. Determining the size of allocations and the criteria for qualification to get an allocation is another important part of the operation.  This was developed within the IETF after much discussion and research.

This seems to me to fall into the "governance" area with strong inputs from the technical community.

3. Determining what happens when allocations become scarce is a potentially third part of the operation.  This was obviously a big deal for IPv4 addresses -- and still is -- but doesn't have much relevance for IPv6.

Dealing with shortages unquestionably involves value judgment and strong inputs from business interests.

In the early days of the network, the focus was primarily on (1) and (2), and it felt mostly like "technical coordination" and not much like "governance."  The shortage of IPv34 address brought a whole new set of players into the equation and moved us all squarely into "governance."

Even though there's no shortage of IPv6 addresses, the removal of the shortage doesn't seem to have caused a return to status quo ante.

Steve

Sent from my iPad